Long drives, dog walks, gardening, cleaning, running, etc. all need a soundtrack… or a great podcast list. I especially enjoy HBR Ideacasts, Pivot Podcasts, Xenium’s Human Resources for Small Business podcasts, Steps and Tools podcasts, and many others. They have excellent information and share valuable insights on business and management. (As an FYI, if you are looking for a podcast player for your phone, my favourite is Podcast Addict.) Here are a few of my top picks that might be of interest:
- Humans are Underrated with Geoff Colvin. If you have heard me refer to today’s world being a “relationship economy”, this is where I got that term (and can’t emphasize its importance enough!) This is a Pivot Podcast with Jenny Blake. You can find other resources, including her latest book Pivot at Pivot Method.
- The Management Myths Hurting Your Business, Harvard Business Review podcast and article. The guest speaker explains how practices sometimes become bad practices. Have you ever wondered why newspapers are printed on such large and awkward sheets of paper? Find out why in this podcast.
- NPR Radio’s How I Built This with Guy Raz. Having gone through a second startup which recently dissolved, I find this podcast series is heartening. Raz “dives into the stories behind some of the world’s best-known companies. How I Built This weaves a narrative journey about innovators, entrepreneurs, idealists, and the movements they built.”
- Peak Performance and Zone of Genius with Laura Garnett. This is another Pivot Podcast with Jenny Blake, figuring out what makes you tick.
- Firing Someone the Right Way, Harvard Business Review article. There are few, if any, more difficult tasks an employer or manager needs to perform than firing someone. This article shares a few short tips.
- resolveHR Musings – Dunning Kruger, Imposter Syndrome, HR and Emotional Intelligence. So it doesn’t cover any of those but here I just share some reflections on how all those things play together.
Then there are audiobooks too!
- The Art of War for Women: Sun Tzu’s Ancient Strategies and Wisdom for Winning at Work by Chin-Ning Chu. This is an audiobook that you can download from the PEI Provincial Library for free through Overdrive app.
- Big Think Strategy: How to Leverage Bold Ideas and Leave Small Thinking Behind Your Coach In a Box by Bernd H. Schmitt. Available through Overdrive App.
- Go Team: Take Your Team to the Next Level Your Coach In a Box by Ken Blanchard. Loved this one! Overdrive App again.
Other sources of great information are:
- HR Reporter Canada always full of great information and hot topics.
- Canada Business Network Blog, Service Canada. There are a few interesting entries on this site such as “Losing a key player? Business as usual”.
- HRM Canada shares news in the HR Management world.
If you have suggestions, please let me know!