Long drives, dog walks, gardening, cleaning, running, etc. all need a soundtrack… or a great podcast list. I especially enjoy HBR Ideacasts, Pivot Podcasts, Xenium’s Human Resources for Small Business podcasts, Steps and Tools podcasts, and many others. They have excellent information and share valuable insights on business and management. (As an FYI, if you are looking for a podcast player for your phone, my favourite is Podcast Addict.) Here are a few of my top picks that might be of interest:
- The 10 Biggest Mistakes I’ve Ever Made as an Entrepreneur Caring too much about what people thought about me, Scaling too big too fast and getting burnt out, Not outsourcing things that I needed to be off my plate… these are such great points for any start-up. I’ve made most of these mistakes… probably still am to be honest. Jenna Kutcher is one of my newest heroes!
- Why now? I do a lot of work with harassment and bullying in the workplace, from workshop training to investigations. While the behaviour is nothing new, the last few years have brought the issue into the light to be dealt with. In this episode of Hidden Brain, hear stories that talk about how things have changed over the years. (So much great material in this series!)
- Humans are Underrated with Geoff Colvin. If you have heard me refer to today’s world being a “relationship economy”, this is where I got that term (and can’t emphasize its importance enough!) This is a Pivot Podcast with Jenny Blake. You can find other resources, including her latest book Pivot at Pivot Method.
- Imposter syndrome and the Dunning-Kruger effect Episode 067 with Sammy K on the PHP Roundtable, Wendy talks to Sammy and Ryan Welscher. We talked about developers (IT sector) but it applies to anyone. I had fun talking about this with these great guys.
- The Management Myths Hurting Your Business, Harvard Business Review podcast and article. The guest speaker explains how practices sometimes become bad practices. Have you ever wondered why newspapers are printed on such large and awkward sheets of paper? Find out why in this podcast.
- NPR Radio’s How I Built This with Guy Raz. Having gone through a second startup which recently dissolved, I find this podcast series is heartening. Raz “dives into the stories behind some of the world’s best-known companies. How I Built This weaves a narrative journey about innovators, entrepreneurs, idealists, and the movements they built.”
- Peak Performance and Zone of Genius with Laura Garnett. This is another Pivot Podcast with Jenny Blake, figuring out what makes you tick.
- Firing Someone the Right Way, Harvard Business Review article. There are few, if any, more difficult tasks an employer or manager needs to perform than firing someone. This article shares a few short tips.
- The Art of War for Women: Sun Tzu’s Ancient Strategies and Wisdom for Winning at Work by Chin-Ning Chu. This is an audiobook that you can download from the PEI Provincial Library for free through Overdrive app.
- Big Think Strategy: How to Leverage Bold Ideas and Leave Small Thinking Behind Your Coach In a Box by Bernd H. Schmitt. Available through Overdrive App.
- Go Team: Take Your Team to the Next Level Your Coach In a Box by Ken Blanchard. Loved this one! Overdrive App again.
Other sources of great information are:
- HR Reporter Canada always full of great information and hot topics.
- Canada Business Network Blog, Service Canada. There are a few interesting entries on this site such as “Losing a key player? Business as usual”.
- HRM Canada shares news in the HR Management world.
If you have suggestions, please let me know!